Sunday, February 20, 2011

In which, amazingly, I run faster

Today was Week 7, Day 1 of C25K.

From here on out, it's all running, no more run-walk. I did my warm-up, then hit the + on the speed control to head to 3.7.

Now just a couple of weeks ago, 3.5 was the fastest I could run. Last week, 3.5 seemed too slow, so one day I ran at 3.6. Then, on Friday, 3.6 seemed slow so it was off to 3.7.

Today I ran for about 5 minutes at 3.7, then felt that now-familiar sensation that the belt is going too slow. I bumped up to 3.8 and ran for the rest of the workout there. My heart rate was below 80% (barely), but I could breathe and I could pass the talk test (if need be).

It's pretty amazing. When I started this in late December, I'd see people running at 4.0 (which isn't even that fast) and marvel. Now, I'm creeping closer without even really trying.

One funny tale from the treadmill this morning. My iPod had just announced "5 minutes remaining" and then I hear the familiar, powerful horns of the theme from Rocky, "Gonna Fly Now", plucked out of my playlist at random.

As my iPod counted down, 4 minutes remaining, 3 minutes remaining, 2 minutes remaining, I was pumping along to that pretty motivation tune, as the chorus wails:

Getting strong nowwwwwwwwww
Won't be long nowwwwwwwwwwwwww.

No comments:

Post a Comment