Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Recipe Of The Day: Butternut Squash Mash


Funny thing: I never liked squash until I was 7 months pregnant with my first child.

Then I got a hankering for it - out of nowhere - and I couldn't get enough. I ate so much, it is a small wonder she didn't pop out looking like she had a bad spray tan.

Every since, I've made up for my misspent, squash-less youth and have enjoyed it immensely. Buttercup, butternut, delicata (oh, delicata), acorn, you name it.

I recently found this recipe via Grace Got Healthy: Butternut Squash Mash. Of course, it seems so simple. Why didn't I think of that?

I'd do the old standy, boil butternut, mash and douse with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (or as I think of it: Yes, I Can Believe It's Chemicals), kosher salt and pepper. Yum.

However this, this looked even better because it's roasted, a favorite way to cook veg for me, and has, wait for it, real butter.

I know! I hardly ever use real butter, but then I remembered that the butter my husband uses is only 1 Points+ per tablespoon (Land O Lakes Light Butter With Canola Oil), which is more than you think (that's 1T in the bowl above).

Ignore that noise, it's my father, somewhere in Eastern Massachusetts bellowing: "THAT'S NOT BUTTER!" He is a purist.

Anyway, I gave the recipe a go and it was really good. Since you only count the butter, it's 1 Points+ for the whole thing. I bought the already peeled and cut-up squash because I am lazy. I am also concerned that left up to me to peel a butternut squash, I would take off a thumb. But, primarily, I am lazy.

A note: If you buy precut, cut it up more, into tinier pieces. It makes it faster to cook and easier to mash, see below:

No comments:

Post a Comment