Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Food Of The Day: Buttercup Squash

Even for a squash, the buttercup variety is unattractive. However it is delicious.

Flo recently noted she made some buttercup squash. I had never tried it before and because I love all things squash, the next time I saw it at the store, I picked one up.

And, yes, I do follow Flo's lead on a lot of foods. If she ever posted, "Hey, cyanide is 0 Points!" I would go for it.

Anyway, I love buttercup squash. It seems a little nuttier and heartier than regular butternut or acorn. I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and place it cut-side down in a pan filled with 1/2 cup of water (if it's a huge squash, I up it to 1 cup). Pop it into a 350-degree oven for 40 or so minutes (depending on its size) or until you can drive a fork through it.

Let it cool, scoop out the yummy guts and douse in I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (though I can believe that), kosher salt and pepper.

0 Points, full-on delicious.

Give it a whirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment