Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Food Of The Day: Delicata Squash


First things first, I have to get this out of the way and I apologize in advance:

Every time I say or hear "delicata" in my head, all I can think of is Ann Wilson of Heart singing, "Ooooooohh, dell-i-CAH-ta!"

Sorry to put that earworm in your head.

Now, onto tasty food.

If squash had their own language - and I'm not convinced they don't - "delicata" no doubt is squash for "delicious."

As you know, I love squash, and this fall I've had fun trying new-to-me varieties.

I remember last fall several weight-loss bloggers I read mentioned delicata squash, but I could never find it. I made a point of looking for it on my recent adventure to Wegmans, and of course, they had it.

I Googled delicata online and discovered how to roast it:

Slice off the ends.

Slice it in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.

Slice the halves into half-inch sections.

Roast at 375 for 30 or so minutes.

Eat - with skin on.

The whole skin-on thing threw me a bit, but wow, those suckers are yummy. I sprayed them with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, kosher salt and pepper, and they are to die for.

In my local stores, delicata tends to be a little tough to find, so keep an eye out. It's worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Delicata are my favorite fall squash! I discovered them last year and kept stalking my local stores this year waiting for them before finally finding them last week. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. They used to be part of our CSA that has since closed so I would be that some of the local farms grow it. Foppama's maybe? Delicata are quite yummy!

    ReplyDelete