Thursday, October 7, 2010

In which it's time to start exercising again

When I rejoined WW last month, I knew how overwhelming it can be, especially for a Type A/Perfectionist personality like me.

There are a lot of to-dos with WW, but one trick is you don't have to do them all perfectly in the beginning to see success.

I knew trying to balance losing and parenting was very new and demanding, so trying to plan and execute everything simultaneously would only burn me out. For example, starting out I only had one goal: Eat within my Points. I knew if I did that, I would lose weight.

I made a deal with myself: Master eating within your Points, then you can move on to something else. I feel confident that I can eat within my Points, so now I will add another goal: Exercise. If I want the weight to keep peeling off at a good rate, I must exercise regularly.

I also knew this was going to be tough because of time constraints. When can I fit it in? And, what do I do?

The What-Do-I-Do? was easy: Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home DVDs. I have several from my last go-round. What's great about Leslie's DVDs are:

  • They're weather-proof.
  • You don't need any equipment save for sneakers and a DVD player.
  • They're effective and challenging.
  • It's a safe, doable workout for all shapes, sizes, ages and ability levels.

    Now, when to exercise? Before the kids get up isn't realistic as my youngest is still up frequently overnight, so I don't get a good night's sleep to begin with. Getting up early only makes things worse. Evening is also tough because I'm pretty beat, and I work part-time at home evenings. It looks like the answer is relatively simple: In the afternoon when my youngest is napping. My two older children can safely entertain themselves within earshot while I work out for a half-hour.

    So, I blew the dust off my Leslie DVD today and gave it a go. I only did the 1-miler (18 minutes). It went quickly, I sweated quite a bit and felt good I got it done. It was very humbling to start at the beginning exercise-wise, but that's the way it goes. I plan to do this DVD 2-3 times per week and see what the scale shows.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment