Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Week 36 Weigh-In

Over the past two months my body has developed a distinct losing pattern: normal loss, normal loss, large loss, large loss.

Given the past two weeks' losses were in the -1-ish range, I was anxious to see if I'd have a big drop this week.

I stepped on Donna The Wonderful Receptionist's scale and held my breath (as usual). It seemed to take her a while to reply. She looked kinda confused, which I interpreted as bad news.

"How do you do it?"

"Do what?

"How do you do it?" she said again. At this point, I knew it was a loss.

"What's the number?" I almost pleaded.

"-3.6!"

Well, hooray losing pattern.

I passed the -90 mark and almost hit a new "decade" - the 180s. Almost.

At -92, I can see -100 in the distance. The next big milestone.

I recently came across my old WW records from my 2002-2003 trip to Lifetime. I didn't plot everything out (yet), but just from a glance I am losing faster than I did back then (and I was similarly dedicated and focused to the pursuit).

So what's the difference now? I'm 7 years older and I've had three kids. If anything, I thought losing would be slower.

My conclusion:

1. The Points+ program has me eating better: more protein, more whole foods, fruits and veg. Fewer carbs and it's working well. In 2002-2003, I definitely know more of my daily Points were carb-y in nature.

2. Strength training. Since I started bootcamp, the combo of Points+ and muscle building/toning has really aided my metabolism and fat burn. In 2002-2003, I dabbled with strength training, but it bored me to tears. I had yet (and still have not) developed the discipline to push myself through a traditional weight training workout or Nautilus circuit. But bootcamp is the most effective workout I've ever done (and I've done a variety, believe me). This is not to say bootcamp is the only way to build muscle. Absolutely not. But it's the best way for me.

So, overall, a kick-ass week. Ran the 5K. Passed -90 lbs lost. Time well spent!

1 comment: