Wednesday, March 7, 2012

In which I may be addicted to kale


I was sitting on the couch this afternoon, reading my iPad and snacking out of a bag of raw kale.

Eyes on the screen, my kids yammering and wandering about, my right hand hopping in and out of the bag, snatching up bits of leafy greens and mindlessly popping them into my mouth.

My husband walked in and asked, calmly, "Are you addicted to kale?"

After chewing and swallowing, my mouth opened to dismiss his joke: "Of course not. You're cra-"

And then I thought, Damn, I do like it a lot.

My new favorite salad is above, a large bowl of raw spinach and kale, mixed with 30g feta (2 Points+) and 2 Eggsland's Best medium hardboiled eggs (1 Points+ each). No dressing. I tried it with dressing and it overpowered the taste of the egg and cheese. And, you know, the greens.

The good news: The salad is tasty and super healthy. The bad news: No one is lining up to kiss me after lunch.

It's funny, I've never been a huge salad junkie because I was never really a big lettuce person. But this spinach-and-kale thing? I can get into that.

I will say one thing: Kale is not everyone's bag. I've had some friends try it. Some think it's great, others think I'm high ("It's like I tore a hunk off my lawn and put it in my mouth!"). I believe it's either a "You love it or you hate it" thing.

I know my family is less-than-thrilled with my kale love. My daughter reported that yesterday she informed her kindergarten teacher: 'MY MOM EATS A LOT OF KALE AND IT SMELLS!" Thankfully, I don't have any more parent-teacher conferences scheduled.

In other news, I totally want this shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment