Friday, November 11, 2011

November '11: Home Weigh-In 1

Last week was a big week in two ways:

  • I lost 6.6 lbs, the most I've ever lost in one week.

  • I sailed under my personal weight goal.

    After months of weigh-ins, I know one thing: If you have a big loss, chances are you won't have a substantial loss the following week.

    For me, 6.6 lbs in one week represented 4% of my total body weight. That's a ridiculous one-week loss for this stage of the game, so I had low expectations heading into the basement Tuesday morning to weigh in.

    Turns out, I should have had even lower expectations. Despite the fact I was still in losing mode (as in, I didn't eat more to try and maintain my current weight), the scale had me up 2.4 lbs.

    I can just see it, my body saying, Wait, I gave up how much last week? No, that's crazy. I want some back.

    So even though I was still eating as if I was trying to lose weight, and exercising as hard as I always do, I was up 2.4 lbs. Thanks, scale, thanks a ton.

    However, I know this is just a case of my body swinging numbers around until we find a good one to settle on.

    Which is why I want to drop a few more pounds. Now, I can hear you, Are you insane? Surely, you've got a mental problem. Why do you want to lose more weight?

    I can explain: Don't have me committed just yet.

    160 lbs is the most I ever want to weigh. I know our weights bump can around up and down 2-3 lbs on any given week, even when we're going everything "right." I want to try and get to 155 as a baseline, so if my weight happens to fluctuate 2-3 lbs, I'm still under 160.

    My scale read 160.8 Tuesday morning and I did not like to see that 6. At all.

    So I want to lose another 3.8 lbs to get to 155 and then switch to maintenance mode to see how I can maintain in that neighborhood.

    It's less than 5 lbs, it's just a number, I know. It's not like I'm trying to drop another 10 to get into smaller clothes. I'm happy with how my body looks (for the most part...) and I'm happy with my clothing sizes. It's just that 158 is still too close to 160 for me to remain under 160 with all the weekly vagaries of water retention, menstrual cycle, etc.

    I want to peel these last 3.8 off this month, so I could truly start maintaining in December. That would be great. So there's my November goal, should keep me honest through the eating holiday approaching.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment