Friday, June 3, 2011

In which NSVs are really important

Last Monday I was bummed out.

My vacation weight gain was not coming off - at all - despite all my best efforts, eating and exercise.

In a quick aside, one of my Facebook friends likened a quick vacation-like gain to "wet cement" - if you don't try to get it off quickly, it will set. I thought that was a great way to put it.

Anyway, since the scale was giving me no love, I went looking for an NSV - a non-scale victory. I really needed a lift.

I headed to my closet and pulled out a pair of size 14 jeans my friend had handed down to me a couple of months of ago. At that time, they were so tight I couldn't get them past my thighs. A week or so before vacation I was able to get them on and zip them up. However, sitting or driving in them would likely cut off circulation to everything north of my equator.

I took the pants off the hanger and tried them on again. They fit, zipped up and were more comfortable than just a couple of weeks ago. They were still what I'll euphemistically call "form-fitting", but they were comfortable enough to consider wearing in public and without personal injury.

I felt better. Sure, the scale was not moving, but, hey, these pants didn't have a prayer of fitting a couple of months ago, and look where they are now - on my body.

NSVs are super important: When things are going great, they bolster you and when they're not, they remind you it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment