Wednesday, April 20, 2011

In which I recommend you get a RoadID

Visit enough running sites and you're going to run into ads for RoadID.

And there's a good reason for that - it's a pretty important piece of equipment to have.

Basically, if you're running, cycling, walking or working out without your wallet, the engraved plate lists your important contact and medical information in case you were (God forbid) unconscious and in need of help. Just read the sobering testimonials.

I ordered one before I began running outside, I even wear it in the gym. The gym? Yes! When I work out there is no gym staff on duty. What would happen if I passed out on the treadmill? No one knows my name or even which workout bag is mine.

My RoadID lists:

  • My full name.
  • My town and state.
  • My husband's first name, his cell and our home number.
  • The fact I have no known allergies (NKA), no medical history (No med hx) and my blood type.
  • A "inspirational saying," in my case a nod to this man's philosophy.

    A couple of months ago I was at the gym on a Monday morning and was wrapping up an elliptical workout. In the last 5 minutes, I felt lightheaded and woozy, like I might faint (turns out a stomach bug was approaching). As I sat down on a bench to collect myself, I was really glad I was wearing my RoadID. If I passed out, at least someone would know who I was, whom to contact and my medical details.

    I won't work out without one now. In fact, I should probably wear it all the time. It's something you may want to consider. And they come in all sorts of pretty colors.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment