Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Food Of The Day: Baked Apple Crisp

I love apple crisp and since it's apple season I've been trying to remember an old low-Point apple crisp recipe that was a favorite long ago.

I pinged Flo to see if she remembered it, and she found this, which is very similar.

I made it yesterday and today, and it is fantastic. If you follow the Nutritional Information from the recipe strictly, it's 5 Points per serving, two servings to the recipe.

However, I refuse to count the apple. According to WW, if I ate the apple by itself it's 0 Points, but if I use it in a recipe, I have to include its fat, fiber, carbs and protein in my Points calculations for the whole thing, thereby upping the Points value of the recipe. I get why they do it, but I respectfully disagree when it comes to this recipe.

I used 1C of Kashi Go Lean Crunch (5 Points), 1T light butter (1 Point) for a total of 6 Points and I don't count the apple. I am a rebel. And, if I'm feeling especially revolutionary, I will use two apples.

I'm not encouraging all-out mutiny, just telling you honestly what I count and don't. I didn't get obese my eating too many apples, so I think it's OK to not count it here.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa, I find the way WW figures recipes totally weird. Anytime you add a "free" fruit or veggie to a recipe, they want you to count it. Seriously? I don't count the fruit in my smoothies. So call me a rebel, too. My 3 point breakfast would double if I counted the "free fruit".

    ReplyDelete