Thursday, October 13, 2011

In which I attempt to run

After rolling my right ankle I gave myself a week off from running to let it heal up.

After yesterday's successful bootcamp class, I figured it (and the previously tight Achilles) were good to go, so off I went to the gym this morning.

I walked for 10 minutes on the treadmill, then got off and stretched my Achilles for a bit, just to make sure.

Then I hopped back on, pushed off and started running, slowly, easily.

I felt good right away, but I kept it easy. Then, after 10 minutes, I dialed it up, everything was back to normal. I felt strong and loose and easy.

I got a good 30 minutes in, then walked another 10 to cool down and stretched out my Achilles one last time. Everything still felt good. Excellent.

Because I have a race Sunday.

I know, OK, just hear me out on this one: I was supposed to run a 5K in August that happened to unfortunately coincide with Hurricane Irene's landfall in Massachusetts. The race was rescheduled to this Sunday. After last week I wasn't sure if I could run it, but everything feels OK, and it's only a 5K, so I'm giving it a go.

And, in other horrifying running news, I spoke two words today to a friend that I never thought I would say out loud:

Spring. Half.

1 comment: