Thursday, September 29, 2011

Food Of The Day: Joy Bauer's Power Lunch


I was perusing Twitter the other day and this gem came across from nutritionist Joy Bauer:

"Easy lunch idea: 1 cup brown rice + 1/2 cup black beans + 1/4 cup salsa + 1-2 TB water. Mix thru & microwave."

I've never been a huge brown rice fan, but this looked too good to ignore. Plus, every ingredient is a Weight Watchers Power Food, which means you'll stay fuller longer.

I whipped it up today (took all of 3 minutes, 30 seconds) and it was amazing. A ton of food and a good Points value.

I've never been great at cooking rice, which is why I love Trader Joe's microwavable rice. They offer Organic Jasmine and Brown, both wonderful. They're in the frozen food aisle and "cooking" takes 3 minutes.

One cup of the TJ's brown rice is 4 Points+. One-half cup of black beans is 2 Points+ and 1/4 cup salsa is 0. I used my favorite salsa, Newman's Mango, and it was fantastic - spicy and sweet.

Six Points for a very satisfying, large lunch. Give it a try, it's easy and good.

Here's a link to Bauer's Twitter feed, she shares a lot of good info and ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment