Sunday, September 25, 2011

Food Of The Day: Yuppie Eggs

I suspect eggs are a rather polarizing food.

Either you love them or you hate them.

I'm in the former category, although it's more of an egg salad, hardboiled-eggs-on-a-salad-type love. I'm not a big fried/scrambled egg fan. I originally wrote, "I'm not an over-easy kinda gal," but that just came out wrong. Yet, still funny.

So I love hardboiled eggs, but I hate peeling them. Frankly, I suck at it. I've tried all the tricks and tips, but they always look like a wolverine half-ate them by the time I'm done. And if I'm spending 2 Points+ on an egg, I want the entire thing.

I was happy to discover Trader Joe's (and other manufacturers) sell already-peeled eggs for peeling-deficient folks like myself. Yes, it seems extraordinarily lazy, but convenient.

It's the type of purchase for which my father, if he ever found out, would call me a "Yuppie." What's nice about Dad is the majority of his insults are pre-1986, making them slightly less effective and more amusing. And for that he would call me a "whippersnapper."

Anyway, I love egg salad. It's one of those foods I can go months without, but if I want it, I want it now.

Today was a want day, so I whipped up 3 eggs (6 P+), 1T of fat-free mayo (1P+) and a Pepperidge Farm Sandwich Thin (2 P+). Yum. Three eggs make a decent amount of egg salad, so what you see in the picture is only about half of the result. The rest I ate out of the bowl.

So, if you're a Yuppie, peeling-challenged egg fan like me, check out TJ's offering, which is in the dairy/yogurt/egg section.

3 comments:

  1. I stinkin' LOVE eggs (from my head down to my legs? lol). I've been making egg salad without the mayo (so...just...smashed hardboiled eggs?) and putting them on a sandwich thin that's been spread with a laughing cow cheese wedge. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about this recipe I just copied:
    Giggled Eggs (A Deviled Egg Swap)
    By LongIslandJimmy

    Ingredients:
    3 Hard Boiled Eggs
    1 Wedge Original Laughing Cow Cheese
    Salt/Pepper/Paprika (as desired)

    Directions:
    Cut the eggs in half. Discard all but 1 & 1/2 yolks.
    In a small bowl, use a fork to mash together the cheese and the 1 & 1/2 yolks until well blended.
    Add salt/pepper to taste
    Fill the mixture back into the egg white halves and top with additional salt/pepper/paprika to taste.

    Nutritional Information (based on avg "large" eggs; for the ENTIRE recipe [all 6 halves] ):
    Calories: 180
    Fat: 10g
    Carbohydrates: 2.2g
    Fiber: 0g
    Protein: 17.5g
    WW PointsPlus: 4

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM. Both ideas look awesome, will be trying. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete