Wednesday, September 28, 2011

In which your obesity hurts the ones you love

This is Mo. She's our oldest's godmother and the closest person I have to a mother on this Earth.

We got together a few weeks ago, and as I was getting ready to leave, she said quietly, "I'm so proud of you for losing the weight. I was so worried about you."

I knew she was proud of my weight loss, but the worried part threw me. I kinda shrugged it off, a la, "Everything's cool now!" because I was surprised by the latter half of her statement.

As someone who has been obese for most of her adult life, it's hard to believe there's any aspect of obesity and weight loss I haven't considered. But, there it was. I never once thought of the impact my problem had on those who love me.

It's very easy to be myopic when it comes to your weight. You're the one carrying around the extra pounds. You're the person whose clothes don't fit and has no energy. You're the one who feels self-conscious about body image and lacks self-esteem. It's all me-me-me, understandably.

However, since Mo's declaration I've come to realize that obesity hurts your loved ones, too. Silently and deeply, I would presume.

They worry about your health and happiness because both may be sort in supply. The love you and want the best for you and being dangerously overweight is not it.

Chances are, if you're like me, they never told you as much in so many words. Everyone knows obesity hurts and the last thing your loved ones would want to do is hurt you further, so perhaps they never voiced their concern.

But know this: They are concerned and they're quietly waiting and hoping for the day when it clicks for you and you decide to make healthier choices.

If you're thinking about (or currently are) losing weight and need some extra motivation, think of your loved ones, your best friends and closest family.

Do it for yourself, of course, but remember them, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment