Monday, February 7, 2011

In which I remember to remain humble

I love the original Star Wars, especially when scene in which Han and Luke are taking out Tie Fighters, and Han warns a celebrating Luke, "Great, kid. Don' get cocky."

I thought of that today when my new winter vest arrived. I didn't want to buy a new one halfway through winter and halfway to goal. However, my old vest was now 3 sizes too big and not very warm. LL Bean was having a sale, so I got a new vest, an XL. A women's XL, no less.

I checked out the sizing specifications online and I knew it would fit, but just barely. I tried it on and it is snug. Not zipper-busting tight, but snug. Which, I think, is good. It's a daily reminder: You are not done yet.

It's easy to become complacent after you've had some success and think you've got it all figured out. And that's a dangerous time. In my life, complacency leads to weight gain. So I think this new vest is a not just a piece of clothing, but a kind of reminder: You're doing great, but you've got a ways to go. Don't get cocky.

No comments:

Post a Comment