Friday, February 11, 2011

C25K Week 5: Milestone time

Today was a big day at the gym.

It was the final day of C25K Week 5, in which I would warm up, run 20 minutes straight, then cool down. No run-walk-run, just run.

I had two good workouts earlier this week, so I was cautiously optimistic I could make it.

The first sign was a good one - not one treadmill was occupied at 6 am (the only significance is I like to pick my treadmill, I've got no problem running in front of others). After 10 minutes of warmup walking, I cranked up the speed to a blistering 3.5 (LOL) and lifted off. The first 5 minutes or so were a mind game, but soon I got in a good rhythm, ignored the timer on the treadmill and just watched the local news and SportsCenter.

Several minutes in I went up to 3.6, then 3.7. I checked the timer and I was halfway done. I felt good - warm, limber and smooth. I watched more news and told myself to run to the next commercial break, then I could check the timer again. When the commercial break kicked in, I looked and I had 1 minute left. That's it. Quickly, it was over and I did it. I ran for 20 minutes straight, a distance of 1.71 miles. I hadn't run for more than a mile straight in 8 years.

I enjoyed my victory cool down and hopped off the treadmill triumphant - all before 7 a.m.

Week 6 start Sunday and I realized I'm more than halfway done with C25K. Just 2 weeks ago a 5K seemed very far away. Now, it's time to start checking out races for the spring.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, great post! I'm doing C25K, and I'm attempting the exact same run tomorrow, 20 minutes with no walking. I really hope I can do it! Well done on your weight loss, it's inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete