Thursday, February 10, 2011

Recipe: Dark Chocolate Cake

This is one of those You Put What In That Recipe? deals.

This week's weekly handout at WW featured a dark chocolate cake recipe. Big deal. But, the secret ingredient was...sauerkraut. Eewwww, I know, but I had to try it.

The kraut was disgusting and smelled vile, stinking up the whole kitchen. I wanted to play Taps when I put it in the mixer, figured I just killed perfectly good ingredients. But when it was baking, a delicious aroma wafted out of the oven, enveloping the house.

I took it out, let it cool and then cut it up. I forgot to take a picture of the whole cake, which looked beautiful, that's how excited I was to see if it really tasted great.

Sure enough, it did. You can't see, smell or taste the kraut. I gave 2 pieces to a good friend to try, telling her only it was a WW recipe. She called me later that night and said it was so delicious, "you wouldn't know it was Weight Watchers!" Then I sprung the secret ingredient on her, and she was amazed.

The recipe is so good, you could share it with "civilians" (my term for non-WWers) and they'd never know. Have fun, give it a try!

Dark Chocolate Cake

2C all-purpose flour
1 1/3C sugar
1.5t baking soda
2/3C unsweetened coca
1/2C melted butter
1.5C hot water (I used black coffee)
1t vanilla extract
1C sauerkraut
1t unsweetened coca

Preheat oven to 350 and coat bundt pan with nonstick spray.

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and 2/3 C of cocoa. Add melted butter, hot water and vanilla extract. Mix well. Add sauerkraut and blend thoroughly.

Pour batter in pan and bake 55-60 minutes until tester comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 20 minutes, then turn out onto cooling rack. After cake is cooled completely, sprinkle with 1t unsweetened cocoa before slicing into 14 pieces.

1 piece = 6 pts

No comments:

Post a Comment