Saturday, February 12, 2011

Recipe: Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs

I don't know why I was so late to this deliciousness as it's a well-known healthy dinner.

My friend and fellow amazing Lifetimer Flo mentioned she was whipping it up one night and I decided I needed to get on that for a couple reasons:



  • It's insanely low-Point and you get your veg in.
  • It's wonderful and a great substitute for regular pasta, which is relatively high in Points for a serving. And I've tried whole wheat pasta, not a fan.
  • It features Trader Joe's Meatless Meatballs, which I loved and ate so often when I was pregnant with my oldest, I got sick of them. I haven't had them in years, so now was a good time to spark my love affair again.

    My grocery store had 1 spaghetti squash left when I went, of course. And it was huge - 5 lbs.

    I asked friends how to cook it and was told to puncture the skin with a fork and nuke about 10 minutes, or longer, until the skin is soft. Took about 15 minutes for my giant squash, after which I sliced it open and let it cool. Once cool, I scooped out the seeds and then using a fork, raked the squash, which resulted in the "spaghetti."

    I added a 1/4C of Newman's Sockarooni sauce (1 Point), 2T of parm-reggiano cheese (1 Point) and 1 serving (6 Meatballs) of TJ's Meatless Meatballs (4 Points). It was awesome.

    Sure, you'll never confuse it with real spaghetti, but it was delicious and a ton of food for the Points (my favorite thing).
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment