Tuesday, January 4, 2011

C25K Week 1: Ow, my shins

The main reason I joined a gym was to get treadmill access.

I decided to do C25K again and since it's January in Massachusetts, I wasn't up for running in the snow, ice and cold. Actually, I'm not up for running, period, but I am up for what it does for my weight loss and body, and how I feel afterward.

When I was heading toward WW Lifetime in 2003, I started running, for the first time in my life. I made it through C25K and actually ran a few races. Like, below:




Week 1 is in the books and I tell you, a 5K seems a long way away. However, I made it through C25K before and I know it can be done.

The program calls for 5 minutes for warm up and cool down, but I've extended it out to 10 minutes on each side to prevent injury as much as I can. Week 1 calls for 60 seconds running, 90 seconds walking. Repeat for 20 minutes.

After the first week I realize I need:

  • New running shoes. I'm using my old pair (in my closet since 2003) and they're old. I'm hoping to hit Marathon Sports this week.
  • Running socks. I used to run in Thorlos, which are padded at the heel and front of the foot to absorb shock, and wick away moisture. I need good running socks again, also at Marathon.
  • Better running attire. My old yoga/workout paints, which turned into everyday wear, aren't cutting it. I need something tighter in the pants department so I don't feel like I'm jiggling all over the place (even though I am). I'll head to Target, their Champion line is decent and affordable. I also need a wicking T-shirt. The cotton ones are too heavy and sweaty post workout.

    Now, onto Week 2, the start of which will be delayed by about 5 days because my husband is out of town and I won't be able to get to the gym. I'm not too disappointed because I think the rest will be good for my probably-shocked body.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment