Friday, January 28, 2011

C25K Week 4, Day 1: Yeehaw

I stepped on the treadmill today relatively nervous: It would be the first workout where I ran (and for longer periods) more than I walked. Could I do it and make it through the workout?

Every time I go to the gym to run, I experience self-doubt. Sometimes it's top of mind (like today) and sometimes it's there, hiding in the back. I worry: Will this be the day I fail? That sounds pretty depressing, but after a lifetime of not moving much and weighing a lot, it's ingrained when it comes to most physical activity. It will take quite a while to get over that, and I know I will, but for now I still have to beat it back.

Anyway, I warmed up this morning and then looked at the run/walk intervals (which were switched up so much from previous weeks I had to write them down on a Post-It note and surreptitiously sneak it on the console so I wouldn't screw it up).

The lineup for this week:

Run 3 minutes.
Walk 90 seconds.
Run 5 minutes.
Walk 2.5 minutes.
Run 3 minutes.
Walk 90 seconds.
Run 5 minutes.

My warmup was over and it was time to run. Before I knew it, 3 minutes was up. The 90 seconds passed quickly, then it was time for a 5-minute run. Soon, that was over and I felt pretty good. I followed the rest of the schedule and I sooner than I expected, the workout was over. I could do it, and I didn't fall off the treadmill (always a concern).

I also dialed back the speed on the treadmill to between 3.5 and 3.8. Still glacierally-slow, but I ran smooth and controlled. I can work on speed later.

No comments:

Post a Comment