Sunday, January 16, 2011

C25K Week 2 Roundup: Getting there

After Week 1 there was a bit of soreness here and there, mostly in my shins.

But here I am at the end of Week 2 and I feel pretty good. No next-day soreness and my shins feel normal. I attribute it to really warming up and cooling down slowly.

C25K calls for 5 mins of each, but I extended it out to 10 mins because A) I'm 40 and B) Overweight. Extra time at each isn't a bad idea, in my book.

The Week 2 routine was running for 90 seconds, then walking for 2 minutes. On Friday, I almost felt fast (for me).

My only complaint is when I stretch after my hips are still ridiculously tight. After carrying 3 kids, you would think they would have loosened up, but not so. Or at least not after running. However I take time to really stretch out my hips and legs (as much as I can) after.

This is the first week I've been running with a heart rate monitor and I like it. It breaks down how much time I spend in the fat burning and fitness zones, depending on where my heart rate is at. Currently, anything more than a fast walk puts me into the fitness zone, which is OK by me. The HRM has been really helpful ensuring my heart rate doesn't get into a dangerous level.

This was also the first week running with my new shoes and running socks. They also made a big difference.

Next week, a big jump:

* Run 90 seconds.
* Walk 90 seconds.
* Run 3 minutes.
* Walk 3 minutes.

Repeat once.

No comments:

Post a Comment