Sunday, March 27, 2011

C25K Week 9: The Finish Line

Today I finally finished the Couch To 5K training program.

It's supposed to take you 9 weeks, but I had to stretch it out to 12 due to weather-related workout cancellations and a few scheduling/childcare issues.

Regardless, I started on Dec. 30, running 60 seconds, then walking 90 seconds, repeating for 20 minutes. That was a lot of work, and a 5K might as well have been a 500K.

Today I ran 31 minutes straight, a distance of about 2.75 miles. On Dec. 30 I weighed 236.8 lbs. Today, well, I'm not sure as my weigh-in isn't until Tuesday - and I refuse to get on a scale at home. Edit to add: Tuesday's WI: 207. For a total loss of 29.8 lbs during C25K training.

I'm not going to write, "It sure didn't seem like 12 weeks" because it sure did. I was at the gym 3x a week in the predawn sweating it out and working hard. But it pays off. I even ran half a 5K.

I don't always love running (read earlier C25K posts and it's a common refrain), but I always love the results. I'm lighter, fitter and stronger.

So where to now? Well, I want to run outside and race more, but my right hip flexor is debilitatingly painful when running outside (treadmill running is pain-free). Heading to the doctor next week to see how I can get that remedied, by exercise, orthotics or whatever.

Provided I can run pain-free outside, I'll run outside and race more. It's fun and races are good goals to shoot for.

If for some reason there is no relatively easy fix for the hip, I'll continue to run on the treadmill. I plan to add 3 minutes a week to my running to get up to 45 minutes a run. I may be the only person I've ever known who doesn't mind the treadmill. I can watch the news, listen to my music and get my workout and 32 oz of water in - all before 7 am. That's a win in my book.

Thinking of giving it a shot? Read a little of this blog. And this one. Then I defy you not to sprint to a store to get a good pair of running shoes and give it a go yourself.

And, if you absolutely don't want to run, absolutely do not watch the video below as you will quickly find yourself being fitted for a new pair of Asics and scouting 5Ks on CoolRunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment