Sunday, March 6, 2011

Recipe: Salsa chicken


My friend and WWer extraordinaire, Flo, tipped me off to this insanely easy yet delicious recipe (although "recipe" may be a stretch given how easy it is).

Ingredients
Chicken (any parts, bone-in or boneless, fresh or frozen)
1 jar of your favorite salsa.

Directions
1. Put chicken in crockpot.
2. Add jar of salsa.
3. 8 hrs on low, 4 on high.

As awesome as it is easy.

I like using boneless breasts and topping with a jar of Newman's Mango Salsa. I spread a little on the bottom of the crock, then add the breasts (usually 4). If I use more breasts, then I add a little more salsa, enough to cover.

I cook it on High for 4 hours, then take off the cover and with two forks shred the breasts so it looks like pulled chicken. Then, I put it on Low and let it simmer for another hour.

It's so good! I normally eat it with a baked potato, but it would work over or with rice, or in a sandwich or wrap.

It freezes and reheats beautifully, so when the chicken is cooled, I freeze it into 3-oz portions in 1/2c Glad containers. It leaves you a lot of food for future meals. One of my favorites is having it with a wedge of Laughing Cow Blue Cheese, on its own or even on a Fiber One Whole Wheat English Muffin in a sandwich.


Ready for the freezer.


3 oz of Salsa Chicken on a Fiber One Whole Wheat English Muffin, with 1 wedge of Laughing Cow Blue Cheese (7 Points).

No comments:

Post a Comment