Friday, March 25, 2011

Recipe: Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore



It had been a couple of weeks since I tried a new recipe and I needed it.

I think it's good for me to try new recipes and not just eat the same foods over and over again. Although, I do that a lot, too.

So when I opened the WW Weekly last week and saw a slow-cook version of Chicken Cacciatore, I was in. I love my slow cooker.

I made it earlier this week and it was excellent. And the house smelled amazing all day.

The recipe says you get 4 1-cup servings, somehow I got 5, although I followed the recipe as written and measured my portions carefully using the WW measured serving spoons (which I love).

One cup is a good serving and for 5 Points+ it's a bargain. If you were really hungry, you could even go a cup-and-a-half for 7.5 Points+. That's still pretty low for an entree and even more food.

Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore

1 pound(s) skinless chicken thigh(s), cut into bite-size pieces   
1 cup(s) mushroom(s), sliced (fresh, frozen or canned)   
1 cup(s) green pepper(s), sliced (fresh or frozen)   
1 cup(s) onion(s), chopped (fresh or frozen)   
1 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced   
1 Tbsp canned tomato paste   
14 1/2 oz canned crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted   
1/4 cup(s) red wine, dry-variety   
3/4 tsp dried oregano, crushed   
3/4 tsp table salt, divided   
1/4 tsp black pepper   

Place chicken in a 3- to 5-quart slow cooker. Add mushrooms, green pepper, onion, garlic, tomato paste, tomatoes and juice, wine, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and black pepper.


Cover slow cooker; cook on high heat for 5 to 6 hours or on low heat for 6 to 8 hours. Taste just before serving and add remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt if necessary. Yields about 1 cup per serving. Serves 4. 5 Points+/svg

No comments:

Post a Comment