Thursday, March 31, 2011

Recipe: Stuffed Peppers



My friend Becca whipped up some great, low-Point, high-volume stuffed peppers, and I was so intrigued I had to follow suit.

Yet another reason why it's so great to have friends who follow your WW lifestyle. They generously share ideas and you can steal them!

And, instead of rice she used couscous, something I had never tried, and until recently, could not spell. I was doubly intrigued - if that's even possible.

Anyway, Becca made it up as she went along and I followed suit.

Here's what I came up with:

  • 2 green bell peppers (0 Points+)
  • Small onion, chopped. (0 Points+)
  • 2 cloves garlic (0 Points+)
  • 1t olive oil (1 Points+)
  • 2/3C Morningstar Farms crumbles (2 Points+)
  • 1C cooked couscous (4 Points+)
  • 1/2C Newman's Sockarooni Sauce (2 Points+)
  • 1/4C Kraft 2% Italian shredded cheese (2 Points+)

    Take the tops off the peppers, clean out the insides and boil for 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.

    Saute the garlic, crumbles and onion in oil. Add the Newman's sauce and cooked couscous. Salt & pepper to taste. Simmer for 5-10 minutes on low.

    Split the mixture between the 2 peppers and bake, covered in a dish, for 20 minutes at 375.

    Uncover, split the cheese between the peppers and bake in the oven for another 5 or so minutes until the cheese is melted.

    Serves 2, 5.5 Points+/svg

    Turned out to be a delicious, easy-to-customize recipe for a cold afternoon. I like the couscous, and next time I think I'd try adding diced Trader Joe's Sweet Italian Chicken Sausages (love them) in place of the crumbles. That would bump the total Points+ for the recipe from 11 to 13, making the peppers 6.5 Points+ each. I liked the crumbles, but I will find any excuse to add sausage to a recipe.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment