Wednesday, March 30, 2011

In which I confound the nurses

Went to my general practitioner for a checkup today, my first in 4 years.

I put off annual checkups for a variety of reasons:

  • Didn't have any pressing problems.
  • Was often at the OB for various pregnancies, so I was monitored there.
  • Didn't want to hear the "You need to lose weight" lecture again.

    I like my doctor, but after a lifetime of those conversations with many of them, I really didn't want to hear it again. Especially because it was true.

    However, one of the side benefits of getting in shape is a trip to the doc was now something I wanted to do.

    So there I was, on the exam table today as a nurse took my blood pressure. I had high BP with all of the pregnancies and took meds, sometimes during them and often after.

    The nurse finished the reading, looked at her chart and said, "Can I take it again?"

    "Sure, is everything OK?"

    "Oh, yeah. Your blood pressure is so normal, given your history, I want to make sure I didn't do anything wrong."

    Nice! She took it again - and then my doctor took it again at the end of the exam. Three readings, all excellent.
  • 2 comments:

    1. Go you! I am exactly the same with the doctor visits.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I loathe the doc as well. But my little trip to the ER for my ankle resulted in a BP read as well 109/62! Is that my blood pressure?! Yup, pretty good. I guess all the zumba is doing the trick.

      ReplyDelete