Wednesday, July 6, 2011

In which I prepare for the next step in running

In getting back to goal weight, one thing I've found to be true:

When I'm slightly apprehensive or scared of an endeavor, that means I should definitely do it.


I don't like that at all. I like my comfort zone. I love my comfort zone. And I don't love that that Aww, crap, here it comes feeling that sits in the back of my head whacking at my conscience.

I had this feeling about running. Had it about running 5Ks. Had it big time before starting bootcamp.

But I remembered this quote: "Real growth starts outside your comfort zone." I have found that definitely to be true.

And as of late there it was again in the back of my head, Maybe you should sign up for a 10K...

I was leisurely perusing CoolRunning.com a few weeks ago and I saw the ad for the Tufts 10K For Women.

Then I felt it, heard it again. Hey, maybe...

I let it sit. Tried to ignore it. Tried to find reasons I couldn't. And I couldn't find many. Dammit.

And before you know it, I was clicking "Register Now" and printing out a training plan from Runner's World.

Now I'm already 2 weeks into training, slowly upping my mileage and running days to prepare.

But the funny thing is, this time, I'm not super scared. I know I can run a 10K. And I have plenty of time to train.

I'm more, dare I say, excited than scared. And that, my friends, is a whole new sensation in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment