Friday, July 22, 2011

In which it's 'only a 5K'

I'm running a race tomorrow, my first in about 6 weeks.

I wanted to run another sooner, but there were no area races that fit my ability and schedule until tomorrow.

I've been excited for this race for weeks, but given the recent weather conditions, it's going to be the hottest one I've raced in yet.

But, I'm taking it in stride and positive-talking lest I mentally DQ myself before I even toe the starting line.

Musing about it today, I thought, Hey, it's only a 5K.

I went on to another thought, but then my mind stopped. The sound effect would have been like a needle being pulled across a record (remember that noise, kids?).

It's only a 5K.

Holy crap, when did I evolve into a person who can honestly state that?

This time last year I weighed north of 280 lbs and walking a 5K was out of the question. Hell, walking up my stairs was like walking a 5K.

And now, 10 short months later, I can run a 5K and I'm training for a 10K. Whoa. I've lost 104 lbs and am in the best shape of my life. At nearly 41. And after 3 children. Whoa.

In a life where I live Point to Point, meal to meal and day to day, it's easy to forget the big picture. (And, as an aside, don't think Point to Point, meal to meal and day to day is a bad thing. For me, it's very positive and good.)

So even though no one is closer to my eating and exercise than me, it's very easy for me to lose context. I'm so preoccupied with my new body and fitness I forget that such a short time ago - not even a year - it was a completely, totally different reality.

Ten months is such a short period of time. With consistency and effort, you can do it, too. I know it seems like a long road ahead, but taking it Point to Point, meal to meal and day to day, you can do it. You can do anything.

If 10 months seems intimidating, try 3 months. Where you could be, what could you do in just 12 short weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment