Saturday, July 16, 2011

In which I tell you how I lose weight so quickly

"How do you lose weight so quickly?"

I get asked that a lot. I'm happy to share what I think are important elements of my weight loss, but there is one key ingredient:

Consistency.

I am very consistent. I know what it takes for me to lose weight and I do it every day:

When the alarm goes off a 5 am, I get up.

When I'm scheduled to run, I run.

When I'm scheduled to go to bootcamp, I go to bootcamp.

When I have a day off from working out, I rest.

If I'm only supposed to eat 29 Points a day, I do not eat 30 nor 28, and so on.

I follow all my keys every day, with very few exceptions.

It's a simple concept, but that doesn't mean it's easy - it certainly isn't for me, but it works. There are plenty of days I want to sleep in, not run, skip bootcamp and/or eat whatever the hell I want. But I don't, I know where that goes for me.

But, here's the genius of it all, you can still lose weight and be successful, but at a slower pace. If you don't want to work out as much nor follow your eating plan as strictly, you don't have to. You can lose slower and be just as successful.

Unfortunately that approach doesn't work for me, I'm very much an all-or-nothing person. If I'm on plan, I'm on plan, if I'm off I weigh 280+ lbs. I would be a terrific alcoholic, either blind drunk or stone sober.

When it comes to losing weight you can be a microwave or a crockpot, but the end result is still the same if you stick to it.

Whatever you're doing, if you're happy with it, continue. If you're not, change it up.

The one thing I can't help with is motivation. Everyone's got to grow that themselves. I wish I could help you because if that was the case I would be a billionaire in no time.

For me it was a matter of: I'm getting fatter, weaker and slower, and I'm not happy. It was time to change it all, for good. I felt it deep down in my bones, and as difficult as being on plan can be from time to time I know it's not as difficult as going back to eating whatever I want and wearing Size 26 pants and 3X shirts.

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." - Robert Collier

That pretty much sums it up.

But remember, however you do it, it can be done. You can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment